Friday, March 20, 2015

Migratory Duck Season Underway


This past week I have spent a lot of time out at the Bashakill Wetlands watching for migratory ducks.  I have also been out to the other reservoirs in my area.  It has been slow but I have seen a fair share of different species.  Including ringneck ducks, common mergansers, hooded mergansers, common goldeneye, mallards, black ducks, and tons of canadian geese.  I did get a couple of good photographs of male ringneck ducks, but I did not manage many other photographs this week.  The last couple days were not as good as the previous couple due to the temperature dip and the open water freezing back up. 


Hopefully warmer weather is coming and the ice will finally melt away.  I believe that the next couple of weeks should be great for migratory ducks especially if the ice continues to melt and more water opens up.  If you can, you should try and get out and see these beautiful ducks.  I have seen a few bald eagles each day I've been out, but none close enough to photograph.  I’m hoping that this weekend will produce more migratory ducks in the area and I may take a trip into the black dirt area of Orange County New York to see if I see anything.  Until Next time.       

No comments:

Post a Comment